The purpose for Library and Learning Resources Center (LLRC) is to preserve, collect, organize information which conveys integral role in supporting higher education and research activities in UD. Making knowledge and information accessible to faculty, students, staff, alumni and researchers in addition to providing high quality services are the LLRC top priority. To fulfill these needs, the library is compelled to utilizing the best available resources and the latest information technologies.
UD library provides the following services:
Reference ServicesAn active reference service is available to answer reference and research inquiries, and queries concerning the use of the library and its facilities. The librarian available all hours of operation ready to assist in using all print and electronic resources. Students can call 045566832 or Ext. 832 for reference inquiries or e-mail: firstname.lastname@example.org.
Digital Library Access ServicesThe library provides access to thousands of electronic journals with indexes, abstracts as well as full-text through online databases like ProQuest ABI /Info, ProQuest Dissertation and Theses, EBSCO, International Financial Statistics (IFS), World Bank publications, EIKON, Emerald insights, Lexis Nexis, Kluwer Arbitration, West Law Gulf, Islamic Finance News, Springer e-books, JSTOR, IEEE-Xplore, SCOPUS and IMF e-library. These online resources can be accessed both campus-wide and remotely through the university’s intranet. Please go to Smart Search to search our databases in one platform at our homepage.
Photocopying & Printing ServicesA self-service machine is available for copying needed materials where a fee of 10 fils per copy is applied. Copyright laws must be strictly observed while photocopying. Only chapter of a book, journal articles are allowed to photocopy.
Printing service is available in the library and on campus as a whole. Students are requested to observe their printing habits to save papers and tonners. Each student is given a quota of 100 free printing papers per semester. If more printouts are needed, students have to recharge their accounts with needed amount through the librarian on duty or Finance Department. A charge of 10 fils per page is applied.
Online Public Access Catalog (OPAC)The Library Management System at University of Dubai provides a very powerful and user-friendly searching interface for all library holdings. This software allows searches by author, title, subject, and keyword(s), unfortunately federated search is not supported. Guiding icons of whether the item retrieved is a printed book, e-book, learning kit or journals are displayed along with the search results at the extreme left of the results display.
All new students are given guidelines on the use of library services and resources during orientation (Bidayat) days and are given library guide which is available at the circulation desk round the year.
Document Delivery ServicesThe library can provide journal articles, reports, and other documents from regional academic libraries as part of interlibrary loan and document delivery. This service actively supports research activities at UD and fulfill information needs.
Open Learning Resources CenterThe Open Learning Resources Center of the library is equipped with 26 computers with latest software embedded to all users. All computers are equipped with multimedia kit and internet access browser. Latest Microsoft Office application packages are available along with some specialized software on all terminals. A networked printer is also provided for users.
Information Literacy ProgramAn active information literacy skills program is offered to all incoming and existing students. The skills are essential to enable students to locate, evaluate, and use the needed information effectively. An information literate student helps to improve academic standards and self-directed life-long learning. One to one, group and in-class sessions for information literacy is conducted all year round.
CollectionsThe library’s collections have been developed to meet the academic needs of University. The Library of Congress classification Scheme is used for organizing book collections into various sections, while periodicals are arranged alphabetically. In addition to the general book collection, there is a reference section containing encyclopedias, dictionaries, handbooks and other reference works. There is also a reserve section which keeps a copy of textbook or heavily demanded item for in-library use only.
Circulation PolicyLoan Periods, Renewals and Reservation
All library patrons must produce a valid ID card when borrowing any material. Students are allowed to borrow four books for a period of 20 days. Library materials may be renewed once, provided no other library user has reserved the items. If library materials are not returned on time, an overdue notice is sent out 3 days prior expiry date as well as one day as grace period is granted and then a fine of 1 dirham per day per item is imposed. If there is library material currently on loan that a student wishes to check out, the item can be reserved at the circulation desk or online. An email notice will be sent to students once the item is available. Reserved item will be re-shelved if it is not picked up within three working days.
Lost or Damaged Library MaterialsBorrowers are required to replace lost or damaged item(s) in the collection with a new copy. Patron is charged the actual price of item (latest edition if applicable) plus 50 AED as processing fee.
General Library Rules
- Users must comply with the IT code of conduct, the library code of conduct, and the student code of conduct while in the library.
- Users may refer to these codes of conduct in the UD catalog. Users must also be considerate of others by keeping noise level low not to disrupt others in studying and research.
- Hot food, salad, pizza, soup and hot messy or odorous item (coffee etc.) must be consumed outside library.
- Library users are responsible of their belongings and should not be left unattended. Library is not responsible for any loss.
- Mobile phones should be kept on vibrate or silent when entering the library.
- Library users are expected to comply with library rules and guidelines that related to fair use of copyrights.
- Defacing or damaging library facilities or equipment will be prosecuted through management authorities.
Community PatronsCommunity patrons, residents of Dubai or nearby areas are welcome to use the UD Library resources and facilities as long as Faculty, Students and Staff access is not infringed. Library access, to borrow (checkout) materials, including community residents are required to apply Library membership (paid membership).
To be eligible for a library membership person should be:
- Should be 18 years of age or older
- Present photo identification (Emirates ID, Driving License)
- Must be in good understanding with library policies and loan policies (brochures available and may be provided)
- Circulating material: Maximum of two (2 items) at a time for two (2) weeks. User will be asked to deposit the amount of a book price before check out of the item.
- Expiry date: Patron will be notified through email 3 days prior overdue date and the charge of 3 dirhams per day per item will be registered for any delay from the due date
- Damaged, lost or non-returned items are charged at the replacement cost of the item plus AED 20/= minimum or maximum AED 50/= processing fee per book, and AED 30/ minimum processing fee for magazine or journal.
- Item renewal for next two weeks (once only) if no one reserved (kept on hold)
- No interlibrary loan will be done on community member behalf
- Remote access to library resources, interlibrary loan, multimedia material, reference material, textbooks and reserve material, periodicals and equipment are not available for community users.
- Printing is limited to 50 pages (or two articles) on a session and will be charged 25 fils per page.
- Borrowing privileges are suspended when any item becomes overdue and will resume when the item (s) are returned.
- Chronic offenders of library policies will have their borrowing privileges cancelled. All library users bare considerate responsibility of making the library safe, neat and pleasant place for reading, research, studying and doing productive work. Please observe the above rules and guidelines.